Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dehydrated Sweet Potato Experiment

With Easter Sunday came the perfect excuse to make sweet potato casserole. So, I thought what better time to try an experiment and see if Shelf Reliance's dehydrated sweet potatoes would pass as fresh.

My family has added it to the list of favorites, especially on the holidays. I have no clue where my mom got the recipe, but it's a good one!


Measure out your sweet potatoes and boil them in water until tender. Maybe like 20 or so minutes. I admit, I forgot was multi-tasking and didn't pay attention.


Drain the water, then mash, mash, mash. 
Add the butter, eggs & sugar. The spread into a casserole dish. 
Top with the crumb topping of butter, brown sugar, flour, and pecans.


Bake.

Eat!

I admit, you can see a difference if you are used to seeing this dish with fresh sweet potatoes you'd notice that these are a lighter color and you don't get the stringy-ness that you usually get from sweet potatoes.  So, while I was hoping to do a blind taste test, everyone knew something was different just from looking at it.


In the end, everyone said that it still tasted great. If I had done half and half, I probably could have fooled them passed this off like nothing was different. Either way, it was fun. And when you don't have sweet potatoes and you want some, but don't want to go out to the store, these are super awesome! 

#10 Can - $18.69
Pantry Can - $7.09
Pouch - $6.99

Sweet Potato Casserole
Preheat oven to 350
Peel & cube 3 cups worth of sweet potatoes (Or, make it easy and use these)
Boil until tender, drain.
Add 2 eggs, 1/2 c. butter, 1/2 c. sugar.
Spread into 9x13 dish.
Mix 1/2 c. soft/melted butter, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. flour (I use whole wheat, it works great), & 1/2 c. chopped pecans. 
Crumble mixture on top of potatoes.
Bake for 30 (or so) minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment