Friday, August 12, 2011

Low Carb Shepard's Pie Recipe

 At least I thought it was a low-carb Shepard's Pie.

So, I mentioned that I needed a mashed potato substitute and this is why. I made this 2-person dinner for a few reasons. I wanted to try out the Sloppy Joe TVP I got and I wanted an excuse to finally try to make the creamy cauliflower I told you all about. Here's what I came up with. You could easily double or even triple it to feed the whole gang.

Low-Carb Shepard's Pie
1/2 c. Sloppy Joe TVP (or other meat/tvp choice)
1 Tb. FD Onion
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. Tomato Powder, prepared (recipe coming soon)
1 c. FD Green Beans, rehydrated
1 c. FD Cauliflower, creamed (recipe here)
1/2 c. FD Cheddar Cheese, rehydrated

In small casserole dish, pour water onto Sloppy Joe TVP & FD onions. Then layer prepared tomato powder, FD green beans, creamy cauliflower & cheese on top.

Bake 350 for 20-25 mins.

The Sloppy Joe TVP made it pretty flavorful. 
I am a sissy for any spicey-ness, but this was still ok for me. I think next time I will make it with ground beef or chicken instead and see how that tastes.

So, I said low-carb. After I put it together I looked up the nutritional values and came up with 68 grams of carbs (38 grams of sugar) for the whole dish. So, half that and it still doesn't sound totally low carb unless you consider that it's a one dish meal. 

The thing that threw me was the tomato powder. I know tomatoes have basically no carb load, but tomato powder apparently has 30g per 1/4 cup! That seems like a lot, but I have checked multiple sources and they all pretty much agree. So, that's what I'm going with. Guess I still have a lot more to learn about carbs!

Low-carb or not, this is not your traditional boring Shepard Pie. This is super flavorful and quite easy!

Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment