Thursday, July 21, 2011

Recipe Review - Sort of

I thought I would start out with an easy recipe. 
Blueberry muffins with streusel topping.


Easy enough. 

Except that I just polished off my open can of blueberries and vowed not to open any more cans of fruit until we had finished the oranges, and pineapple, and peaches, and you get the idea. 

So, my daughter agreed that strawberry muffins sounded just as good. My changes made below in bold.

I thought they tasted great. I reduced the sugar some, and think I could have reduced it even more! I know these are healthier than package mixes and this recipe could be easily adjusted to make all different kinds of muffins! All in all, I give it a thumbs up, even if I didn't exactly follow the directions! :)

Muffin Ingredients

  • 3 c thrive freeze dried blueberries strawberries
  • 1/2 c butter powder
  • 1 1/4 c thrive white sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons thrive whole eggs, prepared powder
  • 2 c thrive white flour 50/50 with whole wheat flour
  • 2 t thrive baking powder
  • 1⁄2 t thrive iodized salt
  • 1⁄2 c thrive powdered milk, reconstituted powder
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 c water (approx.)

Streusel Ingredients

  • 1/4 c butter powder
  • 1/2 1/3 c thrive white sugar
  • 1/2 c Oatmeal
  • 1/3 1/4 c thrive white flour  whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 c water (approx.)

Instructions

* Place the FRUIT in a bowl and pour hot tap water over them to barely cover. Leave to sit for 10 minutes or until reconstituted, stirring occasionally, and then drain the water.
* While FRUIT are rehydrating, add butter POWDER , MILK POWDER, EGG POWDER and white sugar to a mixing bowl. ADD 1/2 C. WATER AND VANILLA. Cream together until smooth.
* Combine 2 c flour, baking powder, and salt, then stir into creamed mixture. ADD REMAINING WATER TILL GOOD MUFFIN CONSISTENCY. Fold in drained FRUIT.
* Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. In a small bowl, combine sugar, OATMEAL, BUTTER POWDER and flour. ADD ENOUGH WATER TO MOISTEN until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins.
* Bake muffins at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve muffins warm.
Yields 18 muffins

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm......that sounds good! I might have to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try them! They were pretty tasty!

    Any recipe requests for me to try next?

    ReplyDelete